Dr. Adrian Balaban
Fatrom Feed Additives S.R.L, Fermeplus S.R.L
- University of Agronomic Science and Veterinary Medicine – Bucharest, Romania
BA, Doctor Veterinary Surgeon (DVM) 2005
- BISA Swine Academy 2015, Ames, Iowa State University
- BISA LEAD 2017-2018, Ames, Iowa State University
- Professional development programs for veterinary practitioners
- Participations in IPVS 2010 Vancouver- Canada, IPVS 2012 Jeju- South Korea, IPVS 2016 Dublin Ireland, IPVS 2018
- In the last 15 years attended different training periods in Holland and US for pig health, pig farm management, laboratory investigations and pig genetics, AI stations, biosecurity of livestock production systems
- President of the Romanian Association of Swine veterinarians since 2016
- Member in the Board of directors of the Romanian Pig meat producers Association (APCPR) since 2011
- Member in the American Association of Swine Veterinarians 2017
- Member in the EAPHM European Association for Porcine Health Management since 2014
- Member in the work Group Pig meat of the Romanian Meat Classification Committee 2011
- Member of “Swine & Wine Group” since 2015
- Participated as representative of APCPR to D.G. Agro. , D.G. Sante. meetings in Brussels,
- Participated as representative of APCPR to ministerial negotiations, law development applied for the pig sector
- Veterinary consultant for FAO of UN since 2020
Primary Functional Expertise – swine veterinarian
- 2005- veterinarian in FATROM feed additives, premix and feed production- Technical support responsible for swine
- Since 2006- General Manager Fermeplus SRL 4600 sows
- Since 2010 Director Cooperativa Silistea Productie Suine CA – 14 pigs farms
- In total managing directly 8800 sows, 65000 places finishers, 18000 places for weaners.
- Consultancy in health management and pig production for other 10000 sows farrow to finish, more than 75000 places for finishers, AI station
- Pig farm Biosecurity expert, presentations: Bergen, Norway 2018, Bucharest, Romania 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, Bulgaria, 2018, 2019, China 2019, USA 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, North Macedonia 2020
Secondary Functional Expertise
- Since 2005 sales representative of Topigs Norsvin in Romania
- Since 2006 Topigs Norsvin breeding farm management, breeding program coordinator
ASF outbreak management
Livestock farms, like any other enterprise, are exposed to any type of risks that could alter the normal course of production such as natural disasters, accidents, major animal diseases, public health problems and other interruptions of the production chain.
Given the specifics of our activity, physiological, zootechnical, economic and temporal limitations, the preparation of a Business Continuity Plan that includes a general contingency plan but also specific to each crisis, both theoretical and practical should be part of the routine of every farm.
In a country like Romania where the entire territory is suspected of African Swine Fever, each farmer must have a contingency plan in case of confirmation of an outbreak of ASF on his holding, made together with the farm veterinarian and notified to the competent authority.
The management of outbreaks of major diseases such as ASF is the responsibility of the state, however, the livestock breeder must be ready to respond to such situations at any time, even if he only has the role of assisting. Planning is essential to reduce property damage, decrease the risk of spreading the disease to the immediate territory or production chain, and protect other susceptible animals.
From my position as General Manager of Pork & Co, I had to develop, implement, and apply such contingency plans in case of confirmation of ASF outbreaks in farms from our group and not only. The management of such situations involves a very good collaboration with all those involved, but also the quick response to novel situations that cannot be planned. A situation as such its very stressful for all the people involved and leaves behind disruptive memories and economical loses.